Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Continuing Education in Nursing - MIDWIFERY

Dedicated to Daisy


After passing the Philippine Local Nursing Board Exam... presently waiting for the NCLEX eligibility, most graduate and passers like me are posed with a dilemma, whether to gain hospital exposure experience aside for the two year internship that most Philippine Nursing Schools provide in different departments or to just train independently.



I found myself wondering which would be more beneficial in the long run... My siblings and I are considering taking up Midwifery... since we already took up most of the other diciplines in the Midwifery Curriculum offered by Philippine based Nursing schools/ universities.






Midwife: A person trained to assist a woman during childbirth.
Many midwives also provide prenatal care for pregnant women, birth education for women and their partners, and care for mothers and newborn babies after the birth.

A midwife may be a man or a woman. Depending on local law, midwives may deliver babies in the mother's home, in a special birthing center or clinic, or in a hospital.
Most midwives specialize in normal, uncomplicated deliveries, referring women with health problems that could require hospitalization during birth to a hospital-based obstetrician. Others work with physicians as part of a team.

Legal qualifications required to practice midwifery differ between the US states and various countries.

Nurse Midwife What they do....(Complete Summary)

Certified Nurse Midwives provide personal, family-centered care for those with uncomplicated pregnancies and refer to affiliated physicians when the need arises.

Nurse midwives:
• educate women regarding contraception, conception, personal care, nutrition, exercise, childbirth methods and other reproductive health issues.• Conduct pelvic and breast exams and Pap smears.• Monitor the patient and fetus during pregnancy.• Assist women with labor and childbirth.• Examine newborns and provide information in infant care and nutrition.• Consult and refer to physicians when pregnancy or labor is not normal.They usually work in hospitals, health maintenance organizations, public health departments, clinics and private practices




IN ACCORDANCE TO THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF NURSE MIDWIVES

Midwifery practice as conducted by Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) and Certified
Midwives (CMs) is the independent management of women’s health care, focusing
particularly on common primary care issues, family planning and gynecologic needs of
women, pregnancy, childbirth, the postpartum period and the care of the newborn. The CNM
and CM practice within a health care system that provides for consultation, collaborative
management or referral as indicated by the health status of the client. CNMs and CMs
practice in accord with the Standards for the Practice of Midwifery, as defined by the
American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM).


DEFINITION OF A CERTIFIED NURSE-MIDWIFE
A certified nurse-midwife (CNM) is an individual educated in the two disciplines of nursing
and midwifery, who possesses evidence of certification according to the requirements of
ACNM.

DEFINITION OF A CERTIFIED MIDWIFE
A certified midwife (CM) is an individual educated in the discipline of midwifery, who
possesses evidence of certification according to the requirements of ACNM.




PHILIPPINE SCHOOLS/ UNIVERSITIES THAT OFFER MIDWIFERY

FATIMA UNIVERSITY (OUR LADY OF FATIMA UNIVERSITY)


Contact Number: (632)2932703-06
Address: 120 McArthur Highway , Valenzuela City, Philippines


EMILIO AGUINALDO COLLEGE MIDWIFERY CERTIFICATION PROGRAM

http://www.eac.edu.ph/academic_programs.html
Email: admission@eac.edu.ph or registrar@eac.edu.phY
Contact Number Midwifery (Dean) 5334/5518

Address: 1113-1117 San Marcelino St. corner Gonzales St. (near U.N. Avenue), 1000 Ermita, Manila, Philippines

MANILA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY - COLLEGE OF NURSING AND SCHOOL OF MIDWIFERY


Contact Number: (632) 364.1071 Local 144
Address: Ground Floor, Filemon D. Tanchoco (FDT) Building, MCU, EDSA, Caloocan City

WORLD CITI COLLEGES

Contact Number: (632) 913-8380 connecting all colleges, departments and units
or (632) 912-3333
Address: Quezon City Campus 960 Aurora Blvd., Quezon City Philippines 1100
Caloocan Campus 461 William Shaw St. , Grace ParkCaloocan City , Philippines 1300




ASSOCIATION/S RELATED TO MIDWIFERY IN THE PHILIPPINES

INTEGRATED MIDWIVES ASSOCIATION IN THE PHILIPPINES

Pinaglabanan cor. Ejercito Sts., San Juan, Metro Manila 1500
Contact Number: 724-4849 / 725-4562
Telefax 724-5335
President: Ms. Alice S. dela Gente

PHILIPPINE LEAGUE OF GOVERNMENT & PRIVATE MIDWIVES

Address: 401 One Executive Building, West Avenue, Quezon City, Philippines



INSIGHTS ON MIDWIFERY

Midwifery
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwifery



Midwife’s Prayer
Dear Lord, Jesus Christ, Thou great Physician of our souls, who hasr healed the sick and even brought the dead back to life, I kneel before thee and pray, since every good and perfect gift must come from thee, who are rich for all who invoke thee.
Grant the mothers thou hast placed in m care may be abundantly blessed, and not one of them be lost because of anything that is lacking in me, give me both wisdom and sympathy, kindness and understanding in my daily work. Inspire me with words of comport and strength, and let me encourage all mothers in their great hour; guide my mind and hands, good Jesus, that I may help them all and be able to lift at least a part of their burden of suffering.
Assist me, bear Lord, to overcome Human weakness and enable me to radiate the sunshine of joy upon the lives of those are gathered around me day by day.
Let me never do anything that would bring disgrace upon your church and your most holy law. And one grace more, dear lord, let me always inform the people right in tie to call on you to the beside of those whom I see in danger of death, and let no human respect ever deter me from the performance of this sacred duty. Amen
So help me God





Midwife’s Pledge
I solemnly pledge that I will do my bestSeeking God’s help and asking for his graceTo keep my body healthy, strong and pureThe task of midwife, I must carry for sureTo keep my mind always alert and fully awake;To the profession I have chose, for life I will stickTo be trustworthy, refined, polite and gracious in mannerAn inspiration always to those under my careTo serve unselfishly and wisely everywhereGuiding the innocent, easing the sufferersTo make my work filled with sweetness and beautyWhere fellowship is found in adversity;To be loyal to my patients, associate, country and GodFrom whom I dearly owe my life and my love
So help me God


© YCW333. All rights reserved. All contents, including images and graphics, on this Web site are used only as reference/s. You must obtain permission to reproduce any information, graphics, or images from this site.

No comments: